Applications open for Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games volunteers
The search to find more than 13,000 volunteers for the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games has begun.
The 2022 Commonwealth Games are taking place from 28 July to 8 August, the games is an once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. There will be over 13,000 volunteering opportunities in numerous roles – there is an opportunity for everyone to volunteer at the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games!
Volunteering is great work experience, and a great opportunity to gain skills, meet new people and become part of a community - all while having fun and making a difference.
Types of Roles
Pre Games Roles
These roles will take place prior to the Games to help support in the planning and preparation of the Games. Volunteers will need to complete 1 shift a week for a duration of 3 months. Some volunteers will provide support at the volunteer selection centre, helping to conduct interviews for games-time volunteers.
In Game Roles
Games-time volunteers will need to be available for the duration of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games (28 July to 8 August), and agree to complete a minimum of 8 shifts. Shifts will be 6 to 10 hours per shift.
All roles will require volunteers to complete regular shifts and you must also be over 18.
Potential roles that QAC students could be assigned are listed below:
- Arrivals & Departures – responsible for getting the Games family from the ports of entry to their Games-time accommodation
- Catering, Cleaning & Waste – looking after the food and beverage requirements for everyone participating in the Games, and covering the cleaning and waste removal at all venues and athlete villages.
- Ceremonies – responsible for the Opening and Closing Ceremonies; the two most significant non-competition events of the Commonwealth Games.
- Contact Centre – supports the volunteer recruitment programme as well as the management of phone and email enquiries from the general public.
- Cultural Programme – delivering a region-wide celebration of the power of art, showcasing the identity of Birmingham and the West Midlands on a global stage.
- Event Services – often referred to as the ‘Face of the Games’, as their role is to provide a safe, enjoyable and efficient experience for spectators.
- Hospitality – responsible from the conception to the event day delivery of hospitality to both sponsors and commercial guests.
- Live Sites – the team runs free-to-access sites around Birmingham, creating a shared space for spectators and non-ticket holders to engage with the Games.
- Uniforms – responsible for the design and distribution of uniforms for staff and volunteers, working to ensure everyone is looking their best.
You can visit the official website of the Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games at: www.birmingham2022.com
The application form will take about 20-30 minutes to complete, personal identification and a photo will be needed. Individual applications only and students can be based anywhere across the city/West Midlands venues if successful.
Applications will be short listed and an interview will take place to discuss the application further. If successful you must be available to attend all training sessions (minimum of 3) provided as well as the duration of the Games.
To register your interest and for more information about volunteering, please visit the official website using the attached link: https://www.birmingham2022.com/get-involved/volunteering/
As the Games take place during non-academic times, the College would not be able to support at the time. But we would be willing to support with any preparation tasks that may be needed prior to the Games.